15 December 2022
The start of a new year often means making exciting plans for the year ahead. What adventures will you take in 2023?
Now is the perfect time to book your next break because you will be able to choose from some of our most popular and unique escapes to make it a holiday with a difference.
Whether it’s a romantic getaway for just the two of you, a dog-friendly stay, a family-friendly retreat, or a group of friends looking for a large cottage in Wales, take your pick of the crop!
We’ve collated the top ten holiday cottages in Wales that have been viewed most frequently by our guests in the last 12 months. So, if you’re looking for a 2023 holiday, then these popular places to stay might give you some inspiration.
The escapes below are some of the most loved of 2022, and there’s quite an array: from unique glamping experiences and remote hideaways to charming cottages in some of Wales’ most popular towns and villages.
1. Wood Shack, Abergavenny, Brecon Beacons - sleeps 2
One of our most sought-after escapes, the enchanting Wood Shack transports you to a world where mobile phones and the internet are swapped for the sound of bird song and a sky full of stars.
Originally a writer’s cabin, this cosy shack feels off the beaten track, yet it’s easy to get back to the real world – although you probably won’t want to.
Get outdoors and breathe in the fresh air, listen to the sounds of the woodland and explore the breathtaking scenery of Sugar Loaf Mountain and the Brecon Beacons before playing board games in front of the wood burner or reading a book in the hammock.
- Morning coffee or yoga on the decking
- Reading in the hammock
- Board games by the fire
- Birdwatching by the stream
2. Eathelin, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire - sleeps 2
An oasis of calm, this luxury handcrafted treehouse with a private hot tub is unique, cute and cosy.
Nestled within the grounds of a picturesque working farm, this special place offers a unique stay in the delightful Worcestershire countryside. After a few days of waking up here, you won’t want to leave the comfortable bedroom with a free-standing copper bath, the peace and quiet, and the undulating countryside views.
Worcestershire and Herefordshire are within touching distance for romantic riverside walks and exploring quaint market towns, and walkers have easy access to the Malvern Hills and the Wye Valley.
- The uniqueness of staying in a luxury handcrafted treehouse
- Taking a dip in your private hot tub
- The charm of its woodland setting
- Meandering around the lakes and meadows
- Soaking in the beautiful free-standing copper bath
3. Beacons Hot Tub Retreat, Llandyfan, Brecon Beacons - sleeps 2 + 3 dogs
This delightful shepherd’s hut in the Brecon Beacons is the perfect glamping experience, with a little more indulgence.
It has been handmade to make the best possible use of the space, with every little detail considered, from the seating in front of the wood burner to the well-positioned double bed where you will wake to sweeping countryside views. The kitchen also has everything you need to rustle up a tasty home-cooked meal should you decide to dine in. There’s even a built-in shower and WC!
This glamping escape goes a step further though with the inclusion of a private hot tub and a lovely decking area with a BBQ for lazy summer nights.
- Soaking in the wood-fired hot tub
- Dining alfresco beside the campfire
- Waking to stunning countryside views
- Getting cosy beside the wood burner
4. Craig Y Nos, Betws-y-Coed, North Wales - sleeps 2 + 1 dog
This idyllic, luxury romantic retreat with a hot tub is set within 200 acres of Snowdonia National Park, perfect for exploring together, and that’s why we love it so much.
Like many of our escapes, this luxury pod allows you to reconnect with yourself and your partner! Although equipped with a TV, we recommend you swap technology for the vast skies of the Welsh countryside and breathtaking views. It’s not all about walking though; Snowdonia is full of outdoor activities, crafts, shops, galleries, pubs and historic bridges over fairytale rivers and streams.
Explore waterfalls, river pools and hilltop lakes alongside magnificent mountains and wonderful woodland. Enjoy climbing, canoeing, kayaking and fishing in the breathtaking scenery.
- The spectacular views from the hot tub
- Escaping the hustle and bustle of everyday life
- Snuggling in front of the wood burner
- Taking long walks from the doorstep
5. Islwyn Llandyrnog, Ruthin - sleeps 10
This stunning luxury house includes a heated indoor swimming pool and a games barn for a fabulous family holiday or group stay in picturesque North Wales.
This truly special retreat is in a great location for captivating country walks and leisurely cycle rides. Walk to the local pub, visit the nearby attractions, and enjoy the plentiful outdoor activities.
Enjoy magical days out in Denbigh, with its dramatic castle, independent shops, cafes, and pubs, all serving delicious local produce.
- Splashing about in the heated indoor swimming pool
- The range of nearby attractions and outdoor activities
- The fabulous views of Snowdonia National Park and the Clwydian Range
- Popping to the local pub, Mold, Ruthin, Denbigh, or the beach
6. View Of The Valley Hut, Monmouth, Wye Valley - sleeps 2 + 2 dogs
Nestled within ancient woodland, this beautiful hut overlooks the dramatic Usk Valley with its wonderful greenness and calm.
Discover the beautiful bluebells in spring and enjoy remoteness and romance in this perfect hut for two. This cosy Welsh property offers peace and respite within a beautifully curated interior, perfect for couples. Every comfort has been considered in this spacious shepherd's hut, from the cosiest of king-size beds, the warmest of wood burners and lashings of hot water in the shower.
Once you set eyes on the captivating view from this property, whether lying in bed, soaking in the wood-fired hot tub or dining alfresco, you’ll wish you could stay for longer. We don’t think you’ll ever tire of the spectacular view or listening to the birds chattering in the trees – it’s a true rural retreat that will inspire you to spend more time closer to nature.
Monmouth is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts with walking, cycling and water-based activities on offer. Followed up by a delicious meal in one of the many pubs scattered throughout the countryside, you're in for a treat!
- The incredible views from the hot tub
- The views when you dine alfresco
- Exploring the gloriously green Usk Valley
- Spotting wildlife in the surrounding countryside
7. Cherry Tree Lodge, Garth - sleeps 2 + 2 dogs
Situated along a peaceful country lane, this spacious and inviting waterside lodge makes a lovely holiday home for a couple looking to relax in beautiful, secluded surroundings.
Retreat to this wonderful Welsh lodge and go fishing, walking or simply soak in the private hot tub and gaze out at the beautiful scenery.
Also welcoming two delighted dogs, this charming cabin overlooks a pretty pond and is close to glorious Garth in Mid Wales.
- The light, welcoming and stylish space
- Being nestled in idyllic surroundings
- The beautiful scenery and large pond
- Soaking in the private hot tub
8. Ty Bach, Hay-On-Wye - sleeps 2
Nestled within the hillside with complete privacy and fabulous views across lush rolling hills, this charming off-grid bothy is perfect for honeymoons and romantic getaways.
Get back to nature and cwtch up around the warming wood burner. Snuggle beneath soft sheepskins and soak the night away in the wonderful wood-fired hot tub.
Nestled above the beautiful Brecon Beacons National Park in National Trust Common Land, enjoy dramatic, romantic walks from this cosy abode.
- Escaping to this beautifully romantic, off-grid place
- Taking in the stunning views
- Relaxing in the wood-fired hot tub
- Exploring acres of spectacular National Trust land
9. Island Hide, Pentre Berw, North Wales - sleeps 2 + 1 dog
Enjoy activities and explore the best of coast and countryside on the Isle of Anglesey from this unique retreat with all the creature comforts.
Soak under the stars in the bubbling hot tub and visit nearby Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch! On the veranda, you’ll discover a table and chairs, lots of boot space and a quirky cold store.
This idyllic shepherd's hut has been tastefully furnished with a lounge/kitchen/dining/sleeping area with a warming wood burner, comfy chairs and all the thoughtful little extras that will enhance your stay.
- Overlooking RSPB Cors Ddyga Wetlands Reserve
- Exploring the footpaths and cycle routes in this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Soaking in the hot tub
- The amazing views
10. Wool Washers Shepherd Hut, Abergavenny - sleeps 2 + 2 dogs
Cosy up in this hand-crafted railway carriage, peacefully nestled among the trees within the fringes of an established meadow.
Boasting cuteness and cosiness from every corner, this unique getaway is perfect for couples looking to escape the real world.
Enjoy breakfast on the terrace listening to beautiful birdsong with fresh countryside air surrounding you. The charming terrace is a perfect sun trap yet has a cover for autumn evenings, and the iron fire pit is sure to keep you nice and toasty on cooler evenings toasting marshmallows and stargazing.
- The peaceful location within the fringes of an established meadow
- Stargazing from your own terrace
- Exploring the wonderful walking trails
- Enjoying the stunning views across the rolling countryside
Stay in Wales
Have we helped to inspire your 2023 holiday? Delve even deeper into our portfolio of luxury escapes in Wales with these handpicked collections, especially for you:
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.